Saturday, May 14, 2011

nicknames

So, in Australia everyone, and i mean everyone has nicknames! Honestly, basically everyone i know has a nickname!

Back at home, i would say nicknames arent as popular as they are here... I definitely didnt have one, and nor did any of my friends really..

Well here in Australia, I can finally say I have a nickname!! I have a couple actually.. and I love them!

My first nickname was from Miss Rosie Posie! She called me Relle, then Sarah and Willy started to call me Relle too! Same with the rest of their family! Relle is all thanks to Rosie, she started calling me Relle even before I came to Australia, I remember talking to Sarah and her telling me that Relle will probably be my new nickname! And it stuck! So thanks missy moo i love my nick name from you <3

My second nickname is Relish! Its a random/funny story... One night I was drinking with my friends Tilley, Cricket, and Tone Bone and Joel! Tilley is Matilda, Cricket is Chris, and Tone Bone is Tony! Joel is just Joel.. Anyway, I decided i wanted to call chris Cricket because not to many people called him Cricket.. then i was telling them they had to think of a nick name for me.. and out of no where Tone Bone decided to call me Relish! At first i was like NO way.. you cant call me that! Well, lets get real... lets just say Relish stuck, and i also love it too! Prue and Jock call me Relish, and Charlie calls me Roey! (he cant say Relish very well and if he really tries it comes out Roish)

Overall, i love my nicknames. They are fun!

Its funny to come to a country where nicknames are so popular, when back at home I dont recall they were! Australians love to shorten things!

Mcdonalds=maccas
Sweater=jumper
Barbecue=barbie
Bikkie=biscuit
the bush=the outback
chook=chicken
Chrissie=Christmas
dag=funny person
Down Under=Australia
G'day=hello
Icy pole=popsicle
Mate=friend
Nappy=Diaper
Dummy=soother
Piss=Beer (get on the piss)
Prezzy=Present
Roo=Kangaroo
Snag=sausage
Tea=Supper
Tucker=food
Uni=University
Ute= Pick up truck

Those are a few things the Aussies shorten!

man i love this country

1 comment: